By law both parents are required to support their child financially. In some cases this may involve one parent paying a child support payment to the other, to help with the costs of raising a child.

Child support laws in Australia allow for children with separated parents to be covered by the Child Support scheme, administered by the Child Support Agency. The scheme uses a formula, based on the income of both parents, the costs of raising children, the number of children in the family, and the amount of time each parents spends with their children whom they are required to financially support.

There are a number of steps that can be taken to dispute child support payments. If a parent believes the current child support payments are unfair, he or she can fill out an application with the Child Support Agency. If the Agency makes a decision which again is not favorable to the parent, further steps can be taken to have that decision reviewed.

Changing child support decisions can be complex, and you should consult one of our experienced Solicitors for assistance and specific advice.

In some situations the Child Support Agency is not needed at all. Parents can make their own arrangements. These can be informal and unwritten or may be formalized in a written agreement called a Child Support Agreement. A Child Support Agreement, which is properly prepared and signed, is able to be enforced if one parent does not comply with it.

Child Support
Family Law
Child Support

Other Services

Collaborative Law
Family Violence
Legal Aid
Defacto Relationships
Child Support
Relocation / Recovery